Friday, October 12, 2018

Gac Fruit

8 December 2018 




 

 
 
 How the gac fruit started in our garden!!

It was a trip to Saigon in 2015 where I first seen gac fruits being sold in the market.  My fascination with these bright orange red colour fruits did not stop there.  I happily brought 2 fruits all the way back to Singapore.  

What do I do with the them, I contemplated!!  Thanks to internet, I searched and found out more about this miracle fruit and their uses. The easiest and most practical way, of course was to make juice.  However, the Vietnamese commonly used the fruit to prepare a dish called xoi gấc, in which the aril and seeds of the fruit are cooked in glutinous rice, for both their color and flavor. Wikipedia


After watching some videos on Youtube, we were set to make the juice and for the first time, I saw the inside part of the gac fruit.

  Totally shocked to see this bloody fleshy part of the fruit, full of seeds.

 After removing the flesh, my next fascination were the beautiful seeds of black and white.


My gac fruit story did not end here.  I planted the seeds and later transplanted them to the Pavilion Garden.   I never thought I could see the light of them fruiting in the garden.  I have not been going to the garden regularly for almost 2 years.  I was so awed now to find the vines matured and they were fruiting continuously except that the fruits have not been growing big enough and often get dried up before we could even pluck them.

This is one fruit that we were lucky to have harvested, but unfortunately, it was not ripe and ended in disappointment of seeing only the yellow unripe flesh and seeds.



This year I went to Hanoi and I was on the looked out of the gac fruit.  Bought only one in the market and shared with our fellow gardeners.

We made gac fruit juice again.  This time we added lemon juice and rock sugar and the juice tasted better.  Shared with our visitors who somewhat liked the taste of the juice.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment